monarch caterpillar on crown flower milkweed leaves

It all began with a passion...

Meet the Owner
Butterfly Dad, Henry
Owner & butterfly dad Henry Fang with monarch butterflies in Ewa Beach Hawaii backyard interviewing with civil beat Hawaii for a virtual storytelling event

Aloha! Thank you for taking the time to check out our website and learn more about our story.

Like many, as a result of the pandemic beginning in March 2020, I was furloughed from my job. One day, I came across an article by chance that changed my life. In that article, I learned that less than 5% of the wild monarch caterpillars make it to become butterflies. The wild monarch butterfly population is in fact on a fast decline and is on the verge of becoming an endangered species. With this information in mind, I decided to get involved by educating myself to help this dwindling species in any way I possibly could.

I attempted to raise monarch butterflies in my home garden, and quickly fell in love with the process and the species. It was the first time I was able to experience a full life cycle and see the transformation of a Monarch Butterfly. After several releases and a ton of research and experience under my belt, I decided that I wanted to share this magical adventure with all my friends, family, and the community. This brought life to the Live Chrysalis Boxes that everyone can personally experience! In a nutshell, this random twist of fate was how Paradise Monarchs was born in September 2020 based on Oahu, Hawaii!

My hope is that with the chrysalis boxes, I can add a smile to someone’s face and brighten their day. More importantly, I hope it will inspire people to join our adventure in raising caterpillars to help promote the wild population of monarch butterflies in Hawaii.

A big MAHALO for the amazing support from the local community so far. I look forward to meeting more new butterfly mommies and daddies in O'ahu!

With much love,

Live monarch butterfly sitting on a tree leave

Due to the lack of food source, wild predators and diseases in nature, wild monarch caterpillars have less than 5% chance of becoming a butterfly. As a result, the wild monarch butterfly population is on a fast decline and is on the verge of becoming an endangered species. With our conservation work, the live insects have a 90-95% chance of survival. We raise all our caterpillars in a clean and safe enclosure and fed with the healthiest home-grown milkweed. Our mission is to help increase the chances for survival by raising healthy monarch butterflies, to then be released back into nature to promote the future generations of wild monarchs in Hawaii.

Live monarch butterfly chrysalis inside a clear box place in an outdoor nature jungle forrest background

With our live chrysalis boxes, people get the rare opportunity to watch their very own monarch chrysalis transform into a beautiful monarch butterfly. The chrysalis will change from bright green to completely translucent towards the end of its journey before eclosing (emerging). If lucky, you may get the rare opportunity to catch the butterfly eclose and watch its wings expand. Few hours following the emergence, you get to the release these majestic insects back into nature. With every release, it will help welcome a new generation of monarchs in Hawaii.

Little young girl holding on to a live monarch butterfly on a wire stick so happy. an outdoor nature jungle forrest background

In each chrysalis box, we include information of the chrysalis transformation to guide you along the journey. We hope to bring awareness of these dying insects through sharing our chrysalis boxes. It is our goal to inspire the community to get involved to save these precious and majestic insects. Whether from planting milkweed to providing home and food source or raising caterpillars in your home garden, we will provide helpful information and resources to get you started. Follow our journey in raising the monarchs on Instagram or Facebook.

#GivingBack #SupportLocalCommunity

As a small local family-owned business, we are extremely grateful for the community's love and support throughout our journey. Not only do we get the opportunity to share our love for the monarch butterflies, but our live butterfly chrysalis box also brings smiles to many. To spread joy and positivity in the community, we are honored to partner with many amazing local organizations. Below are highlights of our recent partnerships.

Donating our live monarch butterfly chrysalis box to Emily with Kapiolani Medical center for women & children as charity donation to support kids in the hospital and cheer them up
Booth setup at the Kapiolani medical center for women & children as a partnership for the employee giving campaign with proceeds benefiting the hospital.
Kapiʻolani Medical Center for Women & Children

To cheer up children who are going through a difficult time at the hospital, we donate our chrysalis boxes regularly. We hope to put a smile on the all the strong, young warriors!

We also partnered with the hospital for the Employee Giving Campaign every year. A portion of all sales were donated to the hospital to benefit child life, palliative care, and chaplain services.

Make-A-Wish Hawaii

For Jahzel's wish granting, we added some butterfly magic to her staycation. We brought over 140 butterfly friends to surprise her family with a symbolic mass release.

Partnership with Make a wish Hawaii charity non-profit organization as part of a wish granting for a lucky young girl and her family. Photo family releasing butterfly as part of a surprise photoshoot.
Partnership with Make a wish Hawaii charity non-profit organization as part of a wish granting for a lucky young girl and her family. Photo family releasing butterfly as part of a surprise photoshoot. Posing with the owners Henry & Justin Fang with shaka.
Make-A-Wish Hawaii & Hawaii Legacy Reforestation Initiative

Catherine, a little 6-year-old girl gave us all one of the greatest gifts of all - hope, love, humanity, life that will leave a legacy for generations. Amazing the kind of impact one little human being can have on our soul!

Through Make-A-Wish Hawaii, Catherine's wish was to visit Hawaii and plant 100 native trees to make the earth better". No rain, wind, thunder or lighting was going to stop her from getting her wish. Catherine, in a battle for her life taught us all a little about fortitude. She rallied the team and said, "we aren't going to wait for the rain to stop; come one, let's plant some trees!"

Proud supporter of

Kapiolani medical center for women & children. A hawaii pacific health organization logo
make a wish Hawaii foundation logo
make lemonade project logo
Honolulu habitat for humanity logo
HUGS hawaii foundation charity logo
iolani palace logo
special olympics hawaii logo
IMUA children family services & IMUA garden center logo
YWCA Oahu hawaii logo
Malama learning center Kapolei hawaii logo

Why Paradise Monarchs?

check mark for 100% guarantee policy.
100% Guarantee

Shop with confidence! Should your butterfly fail to eclose successfully, we will replace it for you.

hand holding a baby plant icon.
Raised Responsibly

All caterpillars are raised with the highest care using best practices that will ensure the monarchs will be healthy for their release.

heart eco-friendly icon
Thoughtfully Designed

The display box is designed to allow each butterfly to eclose safely in mind. All materials used are eco-friendly and recyclable.

chat icon.
24/7 Support

Unsure of how to care for your butterfly? Fret not, each box includes a detailed information on how to care and release for your butterfly. We are here to answer any questions and support you through your journey.

Proud member of
“Made in Hawaii with Aloha”

The Made in Hawaii with Aloha branding program (MIHA) is managed by the Hawaii Department of Agriculture (HDOA) and is promoted jointly by HDOA, Hawaii Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism (DBEDT), and the Chamber of Commerce of Hawaii (CoC).

The MIHA branding program was established to protect the integrity and value of authentic Hawaii branded products and to identify those products made in Hawaii from products made elsewhere yet called made in Hawaii.  Products labeled with the MIHA logo comply with the provisions of Hawaii Revised Statutes (HRS) §486-119 Hawaii-made products; Hawaii-processed products.

Members of

member of international butterfly breeders association logo
members of independent farmers united hawaii organization